Epoxy countertops do not mean countertops made from epoxy, as their name implies. They are simply countertops with a coating or finishing of epoxy for extra protection and shine. The epoxy coating forms a hard finish that protects your countertop from infestation, abuse, wear, and tear.
Epoxy is not new to the world of construction and home decor as it has been around for over eighty-five years. It was created in Switzerland by Pierre Castan.
Epoxy countertops cannot be ordered the way we order granite and marble countertops. They do not come pre-made. They are applied after the countertop is finished. What we can do, is to get the epoxy chemical and apply it professionally.
Epoxy + Countertop =Epoxy Countertops
Epoxy can be applied on basically all countertop surfaces like granite, wood, concrete, laminate, ceramic tile, etc. Countertops are not the only surfaces where epoxy can be applied. Epoxy can also be used on cabinets, desk, shelves, flooring, and many others. It comes in liquid form and is mixed with a liquid hardener. The mixture turns solid almost immediately, so it has to be applied fast by the contractor.
Pros and Cons of Epoxy Countertops
Before going ahead to order epoxy for your countertops, there are a few things you must know that will guide your decision. Stay with me to see some advantages and disadvantages of Epoxy Countertops.
Pros of Epoxy Countertops
- Epoxy lasts very long and is very durable. One application on your countertop can take you for a very long time without having to reapply.
- Epoxy is very strong and can withstand a lot of misuse for a long time.
- Epoxy comes in a large variety of colors, patterns, and styles. So you have a wide range of options that matches your personality and taste to choose from. If you are confused on which style to go for, you can get one that matches your already existing decor.
- Epoxy can change the look of your countertop in one application. It eradicates the dull look and replaces it with a glossy appearance.
- Epoxy countertops are relatively easy to clean. A soft, damp cloth will wipe away new stains with a least one swipe.
- The Resin in epoxy is not toxic and is perfectly safe for your home and its occupants.
- Epoxy is very cost-effective. Contractors like Furniture Phoenix offer epoxy coating services from as low as $4 per square foot. This will save you a lot of money that you would have spent replacing your countertop.
Cons of Epoxy Countertops.
- Installation of Epoxy can be very tricky and messy, and you most likely will need a professional contractor to help with installation. This will increase the cost of installation.
- Epoxy countertops are not heatproof. If you are in the habit of dropping hot Potts and pans on your countertops, chances are you’ll ruin the integrity of the epoxy and damage it.
- There are many rules and guidelines regarding the application of epoxy, so it is almost impossible to go DIY on it.
- Epoxy can be stained easily, so it is essential to wipe off spills and stains immediately to prevent further damage.
- Epoxy takes time and practice to apply. So, if you’re thinking of rushing it in time for Thanksgiving dinner, you may have to have a rethink.
Not all epoxy products will give you the same effects or results. It is quite challenging to get a consistent type of epoxy. Therefore, you can’t mix two different epoxies and hope to get the same result. So, it is essential you get your epoxy from trusted sources like The Furniture Phoenix.
Epoxy countertops are an excellent choice for your home. It is very cost-effective and very durable. It will last you a very long time and also protect your countertop while giving you the perfect look you want. Getting a professional contractor is your best bet if you hope to enjoy the maximum effects of the epoxy. You can contact The Furniture Phoenix for all your epoxy coating services.