When it comes to home remodeling, one of the areas people often ignore is the bathroom. They often rationalize with the fact that they do not spend too long in there, so there’s no need to waste time or resources remodeling it. However, research and time have proven that the state of your bathroom can improve your or your child’s attitude towards bathing. A well-designed bathroom can inspire most people to remain squeaky clean. Its ambiance can create a relaxing demeanor which is much needed after a long day of work.
Bathroom remodeling involves making changes to the physical appearance of your bathroom. The design and layout are the primary focus of bathroom remodeling. You can change the walls from granite tiles to stone veneer. You can also change the flooring of your bathroom.
Bathroom remodeling is different from the bathroom renovation. In remodeling involves improving the old look of your bathroom to give it a new interior. Remodeling can be the full transformation or can involve little tweaks on items in the bathroom. Bathroom renovation, on the other hand, involves major changes. In renovation, the whole structure may be changed. For example, the bathtub can be moved from one side of the room to another. Renovations are mainly carried out to improve the functionality of your room. It can also improve the value of your house if you intend to sell it off.
Types of Bathroom Remodels.
There are different types of bathroom remodels based on the preference of an individual. The 5 types of bathroom remodeling include,
- Cosmetic bathroom remodeling. This involves changing the exterior of your bathroom. It may include a new paint job, changing the bathroom walls, updating the countertops, changing the flooring, etc.
- Partial remodeling. This type of remodeling does not cover the whole bathroom. It mainly involves changing different amenities like sinks or faucets.
- Full remodeling. This involves changing the whole bathroom. From the floors to the walls and even changing the bathroom essentials. It is the most expensive type of remodeling.
- Bathroom flooring remodeling. This involves changing only the flooring of the bathroom. It can include retiling.
- Bathroom Addition. Many homeowners may decide to add some utilities to their bathroom. They can decide to add a bathtub if they didn’t have one before, or they can decide to add an extra sink.
How Much Does It Cost to Remodel my Bathroom?
The cost of remodeling a full bathroom varies with the size of the bathroom, the type of work to be done, the materials to be used, and the contractors to do the job.
The average cost for a full bathroom remodeling is around $10,000. A small bathroom can be remodeled between $6,500 to $17,000. While a larger bathroom can cost up to $25,000 or more.
If you only want to update some essentials in the bathroom, the cost will depend greatly on the amenities you want to replace. The cost for updating bathroom essentials may range from $3,500 to $7,000.
Things to Consider Before Remodeling your Bathroom
Bathroom remodeling can be done alone or as part of a full home remodeling. Either way, there are things you have to consider before embarking on a journey of remodeling your bathroom.
- Budget. Your budget will determine how the whole remodeling process will be structured. It determines the type of materials you can buy and the quality of professional service you can engage. After deciding to remodel your bathroom, draw up a rough estimate to give yourself an idea of how much the remodeling will cost you. Be practical. You do not want to spread yourself too thin.
- Consider the Essentials. If you have a strict budget you are working with, plan the remodeling according to importance. So, things of high priority will be remodeled first before others. For instance, a faulty sink will be replaced before the bathroom walls.
- Remodeling type. Consider the type of remodeling you would like to do in your bathroom. Whether full remodeling, partial remodeling, or if you only want a few additions to your bathroom
- Remodeling ideas. There are different styles and designs to go with for your bathroom. This depends on your taste and preference as an individual. You can search for ideas and inspiration on the internet on places such as Pinterest, Facebook , or Instagram. You can also communicate your ideas with your contractor if you do not find any pictures that are similar to what you want. You will also have to consider the layout of the bathroom. How much space is available, and the number of people using the bathroom, the gender of the people involved, etc.
- Professional services. Unlike a lot of things, you cannot go D-I-Y on remodeling your bathroom except you are very skilled in that area. You will need to engage the services of a contractor. You can contact reliable contractors such as The Furniture Phoenix to help you with your remodeling. They also help you work out a plan and a budget for your bathroom.
Tips for Remodeling Bathroom.
- Prioritize quality. When remodeling, you have to choose quality materials that are durable as they will be in use for a very long time. Prioritize getting quality materials over how the material looks
- Use waterproof materials for your walls and flooring. By nature, a bathroom is the ‘wettest’ place in the house. You will need to use materials that are water-resistant for your bathroom walls and floors to ensure their durability. Solid wood flooring is a no-no in the bathroom, they absorb water easily giving room for termites infestation. This can compromise the integrity of your whole house. Tiles are the preferred flooring types for bathrooms
- If you have toddlers in the house, consider making the toilets a little lower than standard to make them easy for them to access.
- Make sure you have proper ventilation for the bathroom. If your bathroom was not ventilated properly, this is the time to add an extra opening to allow sufficient air.
- Invest in good lighting. A bathroom needs to be sufficiently lit. Plan for sufficient lighting when remodeling your bathroom. Be careful not to overdo it and make it difficult for people to open their eyes while in the bathroom.
- Choose using heated flooring. If you live in the arctic regions, heated floors are an absolute necessity. This helps keep your feet warm when you step out of the bathroom.
- Bathroom remodeling is one of the ways to spice up your home, especially if you are about to place it on the market. You can choose to remodel all or part of your bathroom. You can also choose to add some bathroom essentials to it. When remodeling, it is imperative to have a budget you are working with and to invest in quality materials that will last a long time.